Tuesday, April 5, 2011

TOMS Shoes: Buy A Pair Of Shoes And Make A Difference!

I bought a pair of new canvas shoes last weekend. I'm not really like other women out there who are addicted to shoe shopping which leaves them with so many shoes that by the end of the day, the realize that they have way too much to wear and have no idea where to wear all of them. What a total waste! True, I am guilty of having a pair or two or boots that I can only wear every once in a while but at least, I still get to wear them. Anyway, the brand of my new canvas shoes is called TOMS. I saw the shoes that sell and what the brand stands for. I clearly liked what their company's goal was. With every pair sold, TOMS donates a new pair of shoes to a child in need. When I got home, I decided to Google the company online and was able to find so many good reviews about the company and their products. They indeed help people who don't have shoes and they travel to those poor places just to give such rations. I know food is more essential than shoes but I think it's the thought that counts. Giving is not a regular thing for everyone and so we must all be thankful that at least there are some people who devote their time and resources to do whatever they can for a cause. 


The company was founded by a young entrepreneur named Blake Mycoskie back in 2006. While competing on the second season of the reality show called The Amazing Race, he visited Argentina and saw the situation out there. He decided to come back for a vacation and had the idea to develop a shoe company where for every pair sold, a new pair would be donated to a child in need of shoes. He decided to wear the local alpargata shoes. After going back to America, he sold his driving education school to self finance his then unknown shoe company. For those of you who do not know, Alpargata shoes have been worn by farmers in Argentina for hundreds of years and they became the inspiration for the classic style of TOMS. These canvas or cotton fabric shoes are now manufactured in many styles including a Wrap Boot, Stitchouts, Cordones, and Botas. The sole is constructed of rubber. TOMS offers several vegan styles as well. Ever wondered where the company name came from? The company name was derived from the word "tomorrow" and evolved from the original concept, "Shoes for Tomorrow Project".


Due to their wide range of designs and styles and their passion to help others, TOMS has become a lot more popular since then. Now, TOMS has many programs that they offer to promote awareness among everyone and to seek support from those who are already aware. In 2009, TOMS aimed to give shoes to children in Haiti in partnership with the Clinton Global Initiative.They also work with a factory in Ethiopia to provide shoes locally in the surrounding areas. The company has also expanded its merchandise list to include clothing and different types of shoes including Stitchouts, Wrap Boots, Botas, Cordones, and the highly anticipated Wedge, which debuted June 2010. Today, April 5, 2011, TOMS will host the 4th annual One Day Without Shoes. The company will challenge people worldwide to go a day without shoes in order to raise awareness for the millions of children who go without shoes every day. Over 250,000 people across the globe went barefoot on April 8 of last year in support of TOMS One Day Without Shoes. Why not do so again now? If you want to help others and promote awareness then buy a pair of TOMS shoes now and make a difference.


For more information on their products and their cause, please check their official website: http://www.toms.com/



 This is the pair that I bought. The material was both soft and comfortable. Perfect for everyday wear.
 This is a photo of the company's founder and his profile on People magazine...

This is a fact so why not support their cause now. Let's go barefoot today. I dare you!

2 comments:

  1. I have seen this shoes online and still watching the item. I will buy it as soon as I have money in my paypal account. Oh well, I guess you're right. I have lots of footwear I don't use since I only stay home but I can't still convince myself for dispose them. I so love them. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a pair for 500 pesos. It's my second most expensive footwear to date. I rarely buy anything branded but when I do buy one, I make sure it lasts. I am glad that I helped someone out by buying a pair. Today is BAREFOOT day! I'm not wearing slippers now. I started earlier today. Supporting the cause in my own little way. :)

    ReplyDelete