Thursday, November 8, 2012

Prevention Is Better Than Cure: A Pregnant Woman's Dilemma

I'm sick today. I started getting sick yesterday evening. I thought I just needed to sleep it off but apprently, sleeping it off wasn't enough. I drank some freshly squeezed orange juice last night. Despite its sour yet sweet taste, I drank it all. I woke up with a stuffy nose. I feel phlegm building inside of me and I don't like it. Whenever I catch a cold, I don't just get a runny nose but my eyes become watery as well. Most of the time I get a headache which makes it hard for me to concentrate or think. I hate getting sick and I thought I have done my best to isolate myself from everyone else but alas, what I did wasn't enough.

I have a very good idea as to why I am unwell at the moment. Since last week, my co-workers have all been sneezing, coughing and at the same time blowing their noses. I wasn't worried at that time because I knew that my station was far away from these infected people and that I rarely interact with them. Whenever I do, I always keep some alcohol handy. I know, I am a clean freak but what can I do? I just don't want to get sick especially not now that I am pregnant. Unfortunately, it was only this week that I found out that some of those infected people borrowed my station for several of their classes. To my horror, they used my headphones meaning their saliva and germs might have already been transmitted through my mouth piece. Gah! Just talking about it makes me cringe and gag.

There is no use berating anyone right now. I can't point fingers. So, this morning, I decided to disinfect my station as best as I could. I might just have to get used to it until I stay here early next year as I don't want to be prone to viruses that they keep on bringing at work. Honestly, the CDC would say that if you are sick, you better stay home but most companies don't think that should be done. Despite being sick, we all must be at work to get paid so I can't really blame these sick people for coming to work even if deep inside I actually wanted to. Thankfully, I already asked my doctor what to do and she told me the usual things but asked me to get some more vitamin C in me. Looks like I would adding more vitamins to my current list.

I just hope that by next week, this will all be over. All this flu scare is making me want to get vaccinated but I guess I will have to ask my doctor again to be sure. Ah, the dilemma of working in an office with people who don't really care about their health and other people's healths. I just wish more people are more aware of the things that they have to do to prevent their germs from spreading. After all, prevention is better than cure.
Yes, this question popped into my head today despite the fact that I already know the answer to it. *SIGH*

I wish more people knew about these things. Sadly, I don't think they do and somehow, I feel that even if they knew, they just don't care at all.

 
Wah! I don't want to be sick anymore. Why oh why?

No comments:

Post a Comment