Monday, March 7, 2011

Creativity - A blessing or a curse?

I believe that not all of us are born creative and that not all of us are capable of learning how to be creative. They always say that artists are born and not made but I strongly disagree with that. I believe that it works both ways but creativity is something totally different. I read in an article once that not everybody have creativity and that those who have them aren't so blessed after all. It turns out that people who have creativity in their system are far more difficult to predict than normal people without creativity are. Researchers say that creative people are complicated only because they can have conflicting traits and sometimes they are aware of them and know when to put what mask on. For example, a creative person can be an introvert and an extrovert at the same time. How? Well, it depends on who he/she is socializing with. For creative performers, they can appear shy or timid in front of people backstage while on stage they appear with a totally different personality -- more energetic, outspoken and with lots of confidence. Most creative people like doing physical activities but would also love a little "alone time" every once in a while. Aside from that, they also over think things no matter how small or big they are, irrelevant or not, it matters to the mind of a creative person. A creative person's biggest enemy is himself/herself. Why? Because creativity can  be a curse too. It can make you become over analytical to the extent that you overly criticize almost anything and everything. You become a perfectionist and you find it hard to be pleased no matter what. You overwork yourself thinking that it would help you cope with what's eating you inside. You try to organize and plan things the way you want them to be up to the very last detail when in reality, nobody is pushing you or telling you to do so. Because of how creative people deal with things, often times not everybody understand what they actually want. Thus in the end, creative people believe that they are misunderstood or even being perceived in a negative way which is why as a defense mechanism, creative people show their shyness and timidness around other people. Sometimes even avoiding them entirely. Most creative people believe in daydreaming and they show an appreciation for fantasy and things of the unkown. Creative people have a different way of expressing themselves. They either use music, poetry, writing, art or any non-regular means that normal people without creativity wouldn't resort to. Creative people are sensitive to almost everything and most of the time they like to be inspired by everything around them, sometimes even getting inspiration in the strangest places or situations. A creative person is even capable of turning his/her anger, sadness or any negative emotion or feeling into a positive one by merely delving into it and focusing on how to express it through his/her chosen craft. Creative people believe that by doing this, they are limiting their inhibitions and thus making them more productive when it comes to creating something out of the ordinary. I for one am a creative person and I know how difficult it is to be one. It's hard to cope with my ever changing interests, needs and wants. They are nothing personal, merely based on things that do not concern others but only myself. I can be a bit controversial at times due to my being a rebel and opinionated persona but overall, I am not purely like that. I do like to be different from other people and I perceive myself as special but at the same time, I am my biggest critic and with single step of the way, I always keep on pondering about so many different things and this usually adds up to my stress. I get annoyed when people can't keep up with me or understand me but instead of retaliating, most of the time, my defense mechanism is to merely shut up and use my negative energy on letting it out on my work. I have so many things going on in my mind and sometimes I wish things would just be simple for me. Don't get me wrong, I love being creative but sometimes it can be more of a curse than a blessing. If only people knew that being creative isn't everything...


                                                       Yes, I have it...
You think?
                                Whoever said creativity slept anyway?


Why Creative People Are Complicated? - Here's the link of the article that I read about creativity and creative people...

No comments:

Post a Comment