Saturday, August 20, 2011

Is It Really All About The Money These Days?


I heard this song called Price Tag by Jessie J today. I have heard it multiple times before but today I realized it had more meaning to me than it used to. I didn't want to admit it at first but now I guess I can say that it is all about the money. Most people think that money makes the world go round and without it, you have nothing. The concept only made me think if money was the only thing that mattered in this world. In my opinion, money does matter but it is not the only thing that matters. There are other things that deserve consideration as well. We all strive to work hard and earn more because we believe that by doing so, we will be able to achieve our dreams more. With money comes power and having money to spend makes people happy. They are all stated facts but how much money matters to all of us makes a difference.


A poor family who cannot afford to feed themselves three times a day deserves to at all have enough money to be able to provide for their needs however a rich family who has always had more than enough money to spend on many things, does not need anymore than what they already have. I believe that the love of money is the root of all evil. Because man is born insatiable. We can never have enough. That's where greed comes in. We sin without even knowing it. Hogging money all to ourselves and using them for our selfish gains without thinking that there are others far more deserving to what we may already have. To some people, money is the only thing that is important in this world. I pity these people as they cannot see past something that will eventually ruin them. It is said that people who love money too much often die a horrible death. I do not know if this is for sure but at least, I am wise enough not to become one and to take chances.


Then I realized that there are other people who have a different perspective about money. There are other people who do not work hard to earn more money but would rather just do nothing and expect money to be handed out to them. Does that seem fair to you? I guess not. I don't think it is either. I have always been a firm believer of being able to get something out of my hard work and effort so seeing people who do not know the meaning of these things, pain me and at the same time disgust me. Do not get me wrong. I do not mind giving to those who need it the most however there are limitations to my giving nature. When I know a person deserves it or is willing to do anything to pay me back for it then why not? But if that person always asks for money without even thanking me afterwards or repaying me afterwards or better yet if that person just keeps on asking and asking for more then that's where the problem starts. 


Sometimes when I encounter these kinds of people, I feel like I just want to put some sense into their heads to make them see that there are others around them who aren't supposed to be more capable than them to earn their own money and yet they do. It is such a shame that these panhandlers waste their lives, their time and their efforts on merely becoming good extortionists. Somehow this is one of the reasons why life is unfair. Imagine a world with merely people who want to beg on it. Wouldn't we all be miserable? As much as I want to pity them, there is a bigger part in me that is fed up and annoyed by their ways. Asking money from others all the time and then using that money on unimportant things is just a big slap on the person's face. For that person did his best to earn that money. He, unlike you, worked hard for it. Why is it so hard to ingrain something like that in people's heads? 


Another part I hate about people dependent on others for money is the common scenario of them being rejected by those that they asked money from. I have seen and been in this scenario way too many times to not know this first hand. Here's how it usually happens. A person comes up to you to ask for money and this has been the nth time that this has happened and most of the time, this person does not even have the decency to at least say thank you or even pay the money that was borrowed back. You, on the other hand, have mixed feelings about this person due to the past encounters you have had of him. You are wary of him and wish that he would stop doing what he did so you refuse him. You gave him reasons like I do not have any money here or that I am not earning much lately or that I have to pay so many bills at the moment. Then, this person right there and then throws a tantrum. Telling you, he doesn't need your help and that he can do it on his own or he gets angry at your rejection and tells you how much of an ingrate you are because he helped you when you needed it most. What would you do when such things happen to you?


I honestly don't know. Even if I have been stuck in multiple situations like that before, I still don't know what to say or what to do. Awkward situations like these needs clean getaways and sometimes it is hard to get some especially when the person doing this to you is someone that you are close to or better yet related to. It is so difficult to say no to them and it is so difficult to reject them. But what can you do when you know that if this goes on forever, they would just continue being dependent on you? I do not want to be involved in something that I might not be able to keep up with in the end. I do not want to be responsible for anything that I shouldn't be worrying about. The money that I own is budgeted and should not be used for things that have no worth whatsoever. I want to try to help them but how can I when all that ever matters to them is money? We live in a crazy world and we all have to do what we must to survive. All I ask is for some people to at least lift their weight unto this world to somehow become useful in the eyes of society. Maybe after making themselves useful, they would realize that money isn't everything and that every single penny spent is worth a minute or perhaps a second of a working person's time. Money is not easy to make but it is easy to lose. I hope that some people would finally learn the value of money in time.
 Sometimes you have to learn to say NO. Giving them will only encourage them to ask for more.
 I am not your ATM machine or a charity. I do not run a pension or allowance system for people like you.
 I work hard to try and earn a living. I do so because I want to have enough money to provide food on the table and pay for my bills. Shouldn't you be doing the same instead of just asking money from people like me all the time?
The love of money turns mortals into greedy creatures. The more we want to get our hands on money, the more we make ourselves dirty. It shouldn't have to be this way. If only people knew the value of money and what it should mean to everybody. Yes, I agree that money is essential but our world does not have to revolve around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment